Dental complaints

NHS Dental Services

If you are unhappy with the quality of service you have received at your dentist, you should make a complaint to the dental practice concerned. The practice will have a complaints procedure, which you are entitled to see.

If you do not wish to complain to the practice directly, you can approach the local Health Board. The Health Board can act as ‘honest broker’ to facilitate communication between you and the practitioner but has no responsibility to investigate complaints.

If you have not received a response within 20 working days, you can contact the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO).

Private Dental Services

The Dental Complaints Service runs UK-wide service for complaints about private dentistry.  The Service is funded by the General Dental Dental Complaints Service logoCouncil.