Are you aged 16, 17 or 18 and in qualifying full-time education?
If the answer is YES, then you are entitled to NHS Dental Treatment (young people under 18 do not have to be in education to qualify)
People Receiving Benefits
Are you included in an award of:
- Income Support?
- Universal Credit?
- And had no earnings or net earnings (take-home pay) of £435 or less during the most recent assessment period;* or
- Which includes an element for a child and/or limited capability for work or limited capability for work related activity, and had no earning (take-home pay) or net earnings of £935 or less during the most recent assessment period.*
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance?
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance?
- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit? or
- Do you have an NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate?
* Your assessment period will run for a calendar month from the date of your claim for Universal Credit (which will be shown on your award notice), and between the same dates each month after that.
If the answer is YES to any of the above then you are entitled to Free NHS Dental Treatment
Unless you are in one of the groups entitled to free NHS dental treatment or help with the cost you will require to pay 80% of the cost of your NHS dental treatment up to a maximum of £384 per course of treatment.
Examples of costs for some types of NHS treatment are shown in the table below. Fees are as of 1st Nov 2019.
Please note that NHS fee structure is complex and varies considerably from patient to patient depending of the treatment required.
|Two small X-rays||£5.12|
|Simple gum treatment(scale & polish)||£11.68|
|Small amalgam (silver) filing||£7.96|
|Large amalgam (silver) filing||£20.40|
|Root canal treatment (front tooth)||£43.00|
|Single crown (front tooth)||£77.36|
|Simple extraction (one tooth)||£7.32|
|Complete (upper and lower)dentures||£161.52|
See Help with Health Care Costs for further details.
For a comprehensive list of all treatment charges in the NHS in Scotland, please consult the Statement of Dental Remuneration.